Sunday, August 22, 2010

Crisp Crab Cakes

My hubby and I decided to try this whole eating healthy thing. I mean it is only been a couple of days but so far we have both been doing pretty good. I decided to try this recipe I found in the food network magazine. If you follow the directions exactly it's only 220 calories for 2 cakes. I made a couple mistakes in my attempt. For example, putting in the full cup of breadcrumbs at once instead of just half.  This lead to the cakes breaking apart when I was cooking them....not ideal! I also accidentally sautéed the vegetables in 2 Tablespoons olive oil vs. 2 teaspoons which I'm sure added more calories. In spite of those mistakes the crab cakes were delicious! You could also serve this broken up over a salad (easy for me since the cakes I made were already broken up) or on hamburger buns.



Crisp Crab Cakes
Adapted from Food Network
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 scallions, thinly sliced **
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons nonfat milk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
Dash of hot sauce 
1 pound lump crab or crab claw meat, picked over
1/4 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
Olive-oil cooking spray

1. Heat 2 teaspoons (not tablespoons) olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallions and bell pepper and cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Cook slightly.
2. Mix 1/2 cup panko, the egg and milk in a small bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, lemon juice, Old Bay and hot sauce; fold in the crabmeat, panko mixture, and scallion-bell pepper mixture, 1/4 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper. Shape into 8 patties and refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Coat the crab cakes with the remaining 1/2 cup panko. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Mist the crab cakes with cooking spray and cook, sprayed-side down, 3 to 4 minutes. Spray the tops, flip and cook 3 to 4 minutes more minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

Things I learned:
** Scallions are the same thing as green onions
* Old Bay seasoning is found with the fish/crab and not the other spices at the grocery store

-Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment